Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Let's catch up...

It's been a while since I've written a post about nothing more interesting than what's going on with my life (including my writing life). So let's start with that shall we?

There is a large budget movie filming in Winnipeg right now, and my husband has been working for it full time since it started. However, they are so desperate for people that they have also been hiring me off and on to do some work on the greens crew (landscaping). So that has been a distraction from writing (boo) but also will help fund the next book (yay!). All around it's pretty helpful.

In the meantime, in the writing world, I have signed up for a table at the Word On The Street book fair in Toronto. The lovely Katya Kolmakov (my writerly partner in crime) will be joining me there on Sunday the 27th of September and anyone in the area should come by and say hi!

Ideally, if you don't have either of books yet, buy them, have us sign them, and chat a bit. But, if you do have them, or you don't want to buy them, come by and say hi anyway! We'll be there from 11am to 6pm. We're road tripping out there with a mutual friend who will be helping with the driving and keeping us entertained, and we're staying with good friends, so it should be a lovely trip all in all.

Beyond that, I might have decided to scrap the novel I was hoping to release in October. It's a long story, but it's gone through three or four rewrites at this point and I just don't connect with the main character enough to pull it off. I love the premise, but I think I might have to completely rewrite the story with someone else as the lead because right now, I just can't get behind it. It's a shame, because I've spent a lot of time with this manuscript, but I just don't have the commitment to it that I do to my other stories and I think it might be time to put it aside. Nothing is permanent of course, it's not like I'm going to light the manuscript on fire or anything, so if I ever change my mind it will be there... but I think I will be happier if I focus on a different story, one that excites me more.

So, that means I'll be shifting to revising a different novel (one that is much farther away from being polished and ready for publication) and also to writing a new book. Lately, the characters from Blade's Edge have been in my head a lot, whispering secrets and asking me to come out and play. I am beginning to think I'll heed their call. It's possible that the next new manuscript that I finish will be the sequel to Blade's Edge. We shall see.

Alright, well, I have spent the entire day working in the dirt. I am in dire need of a shower, and some food, and the poor dog needs to go for a walk (she's been neglected all day). So I will leave you now.
Here is a photo of the outdoor office from last week. Artemis and I have been spending a lot of time there lately.




No comments :

Post a Comment